Got a question?
we can help
Wondering about life at Waterloo? From leasing information to roommate matching and more, we have your answer. See if you can find your answer here, and if assistance is still needed, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Basic Information
- Lease Terms & Installments
- What’s Included?
- Leasing Process & Fees
- SMART Housing
- Roommate Matching
- Other Questions
Where will Waterloo be located?
Waterloo is currently under construction at 2400 Seton Ave., Austin, TX 78705 – right across the street from Cain & Abel’s. It will open in August 2022.
Where is the Waterloo leasing office located?
The leasing office is located at 2324 Guadalupe Street on The Drag.
City parking is available on Guadalupe in front of the leasing office. You can also park at the University Co-op Parking Garage located at 2214 San Antonio Street.
What are the leasing office hours?
Waterloo’s leasing office is open by appointment only during the summer.
How long of a lease can I sign?
All leases are 12-month installments beginning on August 13, 2022 and ending on July 31, 2023.
When can I move into Waterloo?
Move-in day is set for Saturday, August 13, 2022. Early move-in will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Waterloo team will reach out regarding early move-in scheduling as construction nears completion.
What is an installment?
Your contract is based on a total amount that is divided into 12 equal installments for convenience. Your first installment will be due August 1 and the last on July 1 unless you choose to renew and stay at Waterloo for another year. Because of this, August rent is not prorated.
When is my installment due? How do I pay for my installment?
Installments are due by the 1st of each month. You can pay this through your resident portal with a debit/credit card or e-check. Alternatively, you can also bring in or mail a physical check or money order to the leasing office.
What if I need to break my lease or plan to go home for the summer?
All leases are 12-month installments beginning on August 13 and ending on July 31. If you need to get out of your lease early, you can relet your unit by finding somebody to take over the remainder of your lease. Please contact the Waterloo team to discuss in detail.
Can I switch floor plans if I’ve already signed a lease?
Yes, you can switch floor plans as long as we have the space available. Your rate is subject to change depending on the floor plan you choose. You will be required to sign a new lease to secure the new floor plan. If you have a guarantor, they will not need to sign the new lease, but they will be notified of the changes.
Example: If you and your roommates are in a 4×4 and want to add two more roommates, we can move everyone to a 6×6, if the space is available and all the roommates currently in the 4×4 confirm the changes.
What is included in my installment?
Your installment includes:
- Premium Wi-Fi internet
- Cable TV
- Fully furnished units (see what’s included)
- Full-size washer & dryer
- Wall-mounted smart television
Plus, access to Waterloo’s on-site amenities and attentive, on-call staff.
What is not included in my installment?
The following items are not included in your installment:
- Rental insurance – Read more about rental insurance.
- Utilities (electricity and water) – Electricity and water are sub-metered and will be billed monthly via Simple Bills. Read more about setting up your electricity and water.
- Trash – will change on a monthly basis.
- Parking – On-site garage parking is available for $450/month. This price is subject to change based on availability.
- Elevated package – All units on floors 26 through 29 have the Elevated™ package included in the quoted rate. The Elevated package includes an Alexa-enabled smart TV, an Amazon Echo Show 8, smart lightbulbs in the common area, and bluetooth shower heads.
- Pet rent
Are the units furnished?
Waterloo’s apartments come fully furnished. Each resident will have a full-size bed and pillow-top mattress, two-under bed/stackable dresser drawers, and a study desk and desk chair.
Our studio floor plans, The Moxy and The Ivy, include an accent chair and wall-mounted television.
Our standard floor plans come with common area furniture, including an entertainment stand, wall-mounted television, coffee table, side table, sofa, accent chair and barstools. Larger units include multiple accent chairs, and side tables.
Waterloo’s penthouse will feature completely custom furniture, including an entertainment stand, coffee table, side tables, sectional sofa, dining table and chairs, and barstools.
Penthouse lessees will have the option to participate in a design consultation with Waterloo’s interior designer, Chelsea Kloss, to assist in making custom furniture selections.
All units on floors 26 through 29 will also include all elements of Waterloo’s Elevated™ package.
Is cable TV available in my bedroom?
All living rooms have a television with a cable package. Bedrooms are equipped with a cable connection should residents wish to bring their own television.
What channels are included in the cable TV package?
View channel lineup here.
What is included in Waterloo’s Elevated™ package?
Waterloo’s Elevated™ Package brings the best in smart home technology to your apartment. It includes an Alexa-enabled smart home device, smart lightbulbs, an Alexa-enabled smart TV, and bluetooth speaker shower heads in every bathroom.
How fast is the Wifi at Waterloo?
Waterloo offers residents up to Gigabit speeds per user. Residents will have a home-like experience with Personal Area Network (PAN), allowing Wi-Fi-connected devices to interact (i.e., Sonos speakers, and Apple AirPlay, wireless printing, etc.).
What fees will I be charged that aren’t included in my installment?
- Application fee (non-refundable) – $99 – This fee covers the cost of the background checks we run in order to approve your application, including the screening of one guarantor. This fee is due upon submission of your electronic application.
- Admin fee (non-refundable) – $250 – Resident will be charged a one-time service fee for administration, billing, bill auditing, overhead and similar expenses and charges to be incurred by Landlord for the Term of this Lease.
- Deposit (refundable) – $250 – This fee is due upon move-in and refundable at the end of your lease term.
- Utility setup fee (non-refundable) – $60 – This is an annual registration fee billed by Simple Bills to set up your utilities, and is not due until you move-in.
- Pet Addition fee – $35/month for additional pets. There is an up front pet deposit of $150 and pet fee of $350 due before move-in.
- Green Fee – $35 – Residents will be billed a monthly Green Fee for LED bulbs, paperless billing, and similar green initiatives to be incurred by the Landlord for the Term of this Lease.
What is an individual lease?
An individual lease is a per-bed lease. You sign a lease for a bed in the apartment and share common areas with roommates. This means you are only responsible for your installment. This allows you to live with roommates without having to worry about whether they’re going to pay on time.
What is a guarantor? Is a guarantor required?
A guarantor is a co-signer for your lease agreement. Because students often don’t have an income, having a guarantor allows us to qualify you for a lease based on your guarantor’s income.
You will list the name and email of your guarantor during the application process, and your guarantor will receive an email to fill out their portion of the application.
We require all residents at Waterloo to have a guarantor or to prepay two installments to qualify. Prepaid installments are applied to the last two months of your lease term.
Why do you need my social security number?
We need your Social Security number in order to run standard credit and criminal background checks.
Waterloo is using software from On-Site.com to keep your personal information secure. All of your data, including your name, email, birth date, and Social Security number, are secured using encryption techniques that banks use to keep your financial information private. Data is transferred via an SSL/TLS connection using 2048-bit encryption between your computer and On-Site’s servers.
How do I lease an apartment?
You can easily complete the entire leasing process online. We are also available in the leasing office if you wish to visit us to apply in person.
Step 1: Fill out an application
Start by filling out our application form. You will need the following information:
- Floor plan and unit you want to lease
- Name, phone number, email address, birth date, Social Security number of the applicant as well as the name and email address of your guarantor (if you’re using one)
- Photo or scan of an identification document such as a passport, driver’s license, state ID, or active military
- Address of current resident as well as current rent payments and contact information for your landlord, who we may contact as a reference
- Bedroom preference and roommate information
Step 2: Sign your lease
After your application is approved, you will automatically be emailed a link to sign your lease. Once our leasing associates countersign your lease, you will be notified via email and receive a digital copy of your completed lease.
Step 3: Get email updates
Once your lease is completed, you will get email notifications with more information on topics such as construction updates, events, move-in, etc.
DOES WATERLOO OFFER S.M.A.R.T housing?
Yes, Waterloo does offer SMART Housing units. We are sold out of SMART Housing for the 2022 – 2023 school year.
What is S.M.A.R.T housing?
SMART Housing, a program created by the City of Austin, aims to aid students who are receiving need-based financial aid, paying for school via student loans, or working to pay for school and living expenses independently.
Do I qualify for S.M.A.R.T housing?
If you are receiving need-based financial aid, you may automatically qualify for S.M.A.R.T Housing.
To determine if you qualify, you will need to look at your financial aid awarded for the 2021-2022 school year. This information can usually be found on your UT Direct Cash Page. Then compare any grants/scholarships/loans to the need-based financial aid list.
If you are receiving any items on the list at any amount, you will automatically qualify for S.M.A.R.T Housing.
To confirm if you qualify for S.M.A.R.T Housing, please email a copy of your UT Direct Cash Page to email@example.com or bring a copy to our leasing office.
Do you offer roommate matching if I don’t have enough people to fill my apartment?
While we do not offer roommate matching, we do have several open spots available within larger units. If you’re interested in being placed into a larger unit, contact us and we can let you know what options we have available.
Is renter’s insurance required? Do you provide renter’s insurance?
Renter’s insurance is required for all residents at Waterloo. Waterloo’s insurance only protects our property and will not cover your property in the event of theft, fire, or natural causes, so we require you purchase your own. Please contact the leasing office for more on renter’s insurance.
Is on-site parking available?
Waterloo offers on-site garage parking for an additional cost. We have a very limited amount of parking spaces remaining. To inquire about parking availability, please reach out to our leasing office.
Do you have maintenance staff? How do I request maintenance?
Once Waterloo is complete, a maintenance team will be available to address any maintenance concerns you may have. You can submit a maintenance request through your resident portal or call our on-site leasing office. All maintenance workers will be dressed in Waterloo uniform, and are not to enter any unit without resident approval.
How do I set up and pay for utilities?
Simple Bills will send a registration email about 30 days before move-in. Nothing needs to be done before then. For information on utilities, see our fees section.
What kind of security does Waterloo provide?
To provide peace of mind for students and parents, Waterloo takes the following security measures:
Waterloo features an extensive security camera network throughout the entire building and parking garage. Cameras will be placed in the following locations:
All exterior entrances
- Lobby, leasing office, and coffee shop
- Amenity spaces, including the fitness center, yoga and spin studios, study mezzanine, and pool deck
- Parking garage
- Elevator cabs and elevator lobbies
- Every residential corridor
Waterloo provides residents fob access to all exterior doors, amenity doors, and elevators. Additionally, each unit has electronic key access to all front doors and individual bedroom doors.
After-hours courtesy officers
Waterloo also provides professional, on-call security after hours, who will be dressed in uniform.
All units at Waterloo Tower will have doors equipped with deadbolts in addition to regular, single-latch locks.
What if construction is not completed on time?
Every Waterloo lease includes a Construction Addendum, which explains what would happen in the unlikely event that a) Waterloo’s Development Team is the causation for the failed completion of the Dwelling by the Move-In Date, b) Tenant is not able to move into the Dwelling by the Move-In Date, and/or c) The cause of the Tenant not being able to move into the Dwelling by the Move-In Date is within the control of the Waterloo’s Development Team.
If this occurs, the Tenant agrees to the following remedies:
1) The Owner will cover hotel / lodging costs at any location within a three (3) mile radius of the Property chosen by Tenant so long as the gross daily hotel / lodging costs does not exceed more than one hundred fifty dollars ($150.00) per Tenant per day
2) The Owner will cover additional moving and storage costs not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500.00) per Tenant
3) The Owner will pro-rate rent for the time period the Tenant is unable to occupy the Waterloo
4) All reimbursements of hotel / lodging and moving / storage costs to Tenant by Owner will be paid within Thirty (30) days of Tenants written notice (including receipts) to Owner via Campus Advantage (the “Property Manager”).
Read more about the Waterloo Guarantee, and find out why we’re confident Waterloo will deliver on time in our article Will Waterloo Be Ready for Move In by Fall 2022?
Do you allow pets?
Waterloo welcomes pets, but with a few restrictions. (Believe it or not, we’ve actually been asked about pet skunks. We said no. You’re welcome.)
Restricted animals and/or breeds include, but are not limited to:
- Animals: Reptiles (snakes, iguanas), ferrets, skunks, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, birds (parrots, cockatiels, macaws)
- Breeds: Pit bulls, rottweilers, German shepherds, huskies, malamutes, Dobermans, chow chows, Great Danes
What level is my apartment on?
The level will depend on your floor plan type and apartment number. To view the various levels within the building, click here.
How are the apartments laid out? Can I lease a unit next to my friend?
Each level has a variety of floorplans available. If you and your friends want to lease multiple units on the same floor, our leasing team will do their best to accommodate! Take a look at the level plans to see how each floor is laid out. And take a look at our floorplan options to see what unit type is the best fit for you.
Will I be allowed to paint the walls or add wallpaper in my apartment?
You cannot repaint the walls or apply real wallpaper. However, as long as the original unit is not damaged, you may add sticky wallpaper. If the pain or unit is damaged when you move out, it will affect your security deposit refund.
What type of bikes will be in the spin room? Do I need spin shoes?
We will have Echelon bikes in the spin room at Waterloo. Spin shoes are not required.